At Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, we build all of our custom modular homes with a sealed crawl space to provide better protection and air quality. Unlike vented crawl spaces, a sealed crawl space offers a number of benefits to your house and your family. But what is a sealed crawl space and how can it benefit your home?
What is a Sealed Crawl Space?
Traditionally, crawl spaces beneath a house are vented to allow air to pass beneath the house freely. Unfortunately, if you live in a humid area your crawl space might not be able to keep moisture out, which can lead to problems. Common issues associated with a vented crawl space are mold, mildew, wood rot, and poor air quality. Even worse, open crawl spaces can provide a home to pests and local wildlife.
A closed or “sealed” crawl space has no wall vents, meaning air cannot pass into the crawl space from outside your home. The ground in a sealed crawl space is covered with a moisture barrier which is sealed against the foundation walls. All gaps are sealed to create an air- and watertight sealed space. A sloped exterior grading around the foundation pulls water away from the house.
If you live in an area with a lot of moisture in the air such as the Southeastern United States, your home is at greater risk of developing mold and mildew. Having a sealed crawl space will prevent the buildup of moisture which can lead to mold and provides a number of additional benefits to your home.
The Benefits of a Sealed Crawl Space
- Improved air quality, making it a great option for anyone with allergies or respiratory issues.
- Saves you up to 18% on your heating and cooling costs each year.
- The moisture-free crawl space reduces the chance of mold and mildew.
- Moisture control also helps to reduce the chance of buckling underneath hardwood floors and protects your subfloors.
- Keeps your floors warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- The dry air prevents frozen pipes in the winter.
- The sealed area help to deter termites, pests, and wildlife from entering your home.
Having a sealed crawl space offers numerous benefits to you, your family, and your home, and can even save you money on your energy bills. When you build a home with Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, your custom modular home will come with a sealed crawl space built standard.